Wednesday, May 25, 2011

“An Early Death before Life” Dedication to Biggie Smalls Vol. 3 Draft

“An Early Death before Life” Dedication to Biggie Smalls

“Remember back in the days, when niggaz had waves
Gazelle shades, and corn braids
Pitchin pennies, honies had the high top jellies
Shootin skelly, motherfuckers was all friendly” Biggie’s “Things Done Changed” track

The early bird catches the worm but it was far too early for Christopher Wallace aka Biggie Smalls aka The Notorious B.I.G. aka Frank White aka Big Poppa aka Brooklyn’s Finest to find a home far away from his loved ones, influence and hip hop. I pop "Ready to Die" in the cassette deck to reminisce on a time before CD’s somewhere circa 1993, when “Juicy” played on the radio station and I purchased my first playstation. The nation was still suffering the aftermath of the Gulf War but who knew that Rap Music would see its very own Dessert Storm. Several fatalities came in the fashion and form of young black MC’s, who microphones were mistaken for automatic weapons. Bedford Stuyvesant streets will never be the same and like you said my brother, “Things Done Changed” and the “Everyday Struggle” was a “Warning” to us all. I guess some enemy of the state wanted to see your “Downfall” and figured that “Somebody’s Got to Die” and it was you. “The World is Filled” with “Playa Haters” but regardless of all of that, we “Miss You”. Puff said “Mo Money Mo Problems” and the media always make sure “Your Nobody Till Somebody Kills You” but what’s sad is “Sky’s The Limit” for an individual with a vicious flow, ill lyrics, powerful voice and crazy word-play. As a hip hop purest, I rarely see these skills today. “What’s Beef” when we just enjoy listening to good music? With each single you would “Hypnotize” us and of course you weren’t “Ready To Die” so why do people want to see “Nigga’s Bleed” and who knew that “Going Back to Cali” would be your “Last Day”. We miss you Biggie! I sit here with a 40 oz like my college years almost shedding a tear as “One More Chance” blast from my speaker to my soul. I remember the first time I heard “Unbelievable”, “Machine Gun Funk” and “Who Shot Ya”. Now, I wish the police and FBI found out...Who Shot Ya...

The End

No comments:

Post a Comment