Sunday, May 22, 2011

"The Greatest Poem Ever Told" #Revised


The wind blows from the Heavens as I sit here reading the literature passed down from the "Dead Poets Society" with a fine glass of Ancient Grapes...I laugh as Dante vividly describes the "Inferno"...Yeah...Love can burn the shit out of you...But...A life in sin can also provide everlasting heat...At least...That’s what vacation bible school taught me… Though I often cheated in class...This made "Psalm 23" by the Psalmist hard to believe because I smoked on so many trees...Oh the elevation… But I digress...On this night Homer took me to "The Iliad" after Shakespeare had me amazed by "Sonnet 18"...My eyes stay tired but Langston asked me...What happens to a dream deferred?...A cool breeze smacked my reality and there was no answer to this question ...I’m only a mere mortal guys....I’m only a mere mortal you guys ....So allow me the opportunity to share your stanzas with today’s poets...Who know "NO" history...Your writings are my history...Can I join you Edgar as my fingers turn from "The Raven" to "Amazing Grace" by this guy named John Newton who was also a member…Of the society that I would love to reside in forever…Remember me guys...Remember me as I remember "Still I Rise" by Maya Angelo or "Fog" by Carl Sandburg.. Man...The fog outside make it hard for me to read "Requiem"…But...I push my eyes deeper into the page...Deeper into immortality...Deeper into..."When I Consider How My Light Is Spent" by John Milton...I sip the fresh grapes again and feel a slight buzz...Oh hell...I'm almost drunk but sober enough to know that "Jordan" by George Herbert is a work of genius...I'm a genius because I'm not afraid to daydream...I relax and think about how Paul Lawrence Dunbar, Gwendolyn Brooks, Robert Hayden and Phyllis Wheatley would have viewed my Abstract World...Would they induct me?..Can I be a part of "A Great Day In Harlem?....Would Henry Wadsworth Longfellow or Robert Frost allow me in their Fraternity?...I want to belong...I want to be a Poet...I want to be a name that lives on through words that capture the souls of all readers...Just as the Dead Poets...They continue to bless my spirit...They continue to influence my pen and pad...I heard voices say "preach creativity"...I got up and walked into the lobby…Ran into Nikki Giovanni…She told me to never stop writing...Never stop the path to my destiny and a forgotten poet...You will never be...A forgotten poet...You will never be...

The End

No comments:

Post a Comment